pest mitigation for organic waste bins in garbage areas, arborist and landscaping updates, garage inspections, garage restoration and painting, building insulation and painting, new irrigation pump, and Sycamore Ave. fence rejuvenation.
ORGANIC WASTE PEST MITIGATION
Ms. Giles told the Board that although odors and pests are less prevalent now in our courts, they continue to plague us. To keep fluid from leaking into the containers, she announced the addition of a compostable liner within the more durable liner inside the bins, as well as weather stripping for the lids to help keep them secure and sealed. Also, the main receptacle in Court 17 will now be emptied twice weekly.
Ms. Giles requested that residents stop dumping food waste directly into the compost bins and instead use sealed compostable bags or biodegradable bags. (See photo above for an example of bags appropriate for organic waste.
Arborist Cy Carlberg toured Court 15 and the East Green and recommended removal and replacement of four trees severely infested with the invasive and highly infectious shot hole borer beetle. They also noted their November 2021 recommendation for campus-wide sycamore deadwood pruning.
(See photo of staining around entry holes of a highly infested sycamore tree, downloaded from UC Riverside’s “Pests in the Urban Landscape” agriculture blog.)
- Garage Inspections will start on October 3 with Court 1 and then Court 2.
- Garage Restorations and Painting in Court 8 begins in early October and moves to Court 14 in November.
- Building Insulation and Painting will start on Building 33 on October 4.
- Well Pump: A new irrigation pump was successfully installed on September 16. Green Crew has resumed irrigating.
- Sycamore Avenue Fence Rejuvenation: The wind screen installation is expected to be completed in October. Our horticulturist is developing a planting scheme for the area.